Friday 23 September 2011

22/09/11 - North Esk



17.5 inch
Time - 18.15-19.35
Water - Up about 10cm, nice peaty colour
Where - Bridge Pool at Tunnel Entrance to Dalmore Mill
Weather - Fair
Methods - Size 2 silver & 3 silver Mepp with blue spots
Total - 4
Species - Brown Trout

Size - 10.75-17.5 inch

12 incher
I'd had a quick blast the previous day but the water was a bit too high and cloudy and no interest was registered. With a rainless day and information from further downstream that the river was in great condition, I headed for a quick evening session on the Auchendinny stretch and connected with four stotters. First up was an 11.5 incher. A few minutes later a 10.75 incher. Next cast a 12 incher, a lovely fish. Then, after a spell of calm after all the fish and interest, BANG, a 17.5 incher attacked the mepp and set off downstream with me in hot pursuit. A heck of a battle mostly fought in the rapids. I nearly had it and lost it a couple of times before finally being able to grab it and dive onto the overgrown bank. Four trout only, average length = 12.8125 inch!!! Delighted. Subsequently lost my size 3 mepp on the bottom just as dusk turned to dark.

The 'smaller' fish were all in excellent nick and carrying some chubiness. The bigger fish was a lot slimmer. While I wasn't sure what my all time Esk record was and had it provisionally at 12.5 inch, this is certainly the biggest brownie I've either caught or seen caught in the Esk.

11.5 incher

No comments:

Post a Comment