Monday 3 October 2011

03/10/11 - North Esk


Time - 18.00 - 19.00
Water - Around 10cm up, coloured nicely
Where - Railway Tunnel Bridge - Dalmore Weir
Weather - OK
Methods - Size 3 mepp
Total - 1
Species - Brown Trout

Size - 10.5 inch

An excellent image above of the overnight rise in water level according to the Dalmore gauge on the North Esk.  While an excellent resource, I've only recently discovered this specific water level indicator. On the few occasions since discovering it that I've been able to match it to my own actual observed conditions, I'd say that it is accurate at recording water levels, bit the times it claims to represent are a bit out. I'll be more specific once I've had time to do a bit more matching up of data and observations.


From Dalmore Tunnel looking west along the Old Railway


The boost in water attracted me out. Auchendinny was the direction. After an unsuccesful stint at the bridge, walked through the tunnel to the old mill site to find it's been fenced off since my last visit. So back up to the bridge, into the water and a traipse downstream. However, as I was crossing at the foot of the bridge pool, I chucked the spinner directly upstream. This is the tactic that has brought me my only two fish to date from this pool and first cast I was into another. Notable that they don't sniff the mepp in other directions but can't help themselves when its heading straight downstream.

10.5 inch
Afterwards there was a little toil for no reward. Nothing doing at all in the weir pool and the impending darkness ended proceedings.




No comments:

Post a Comment