Saturday 9 March 2013

21/02/2013 - Torness

Lunar landscape
Time - 1515-1715
Weather - Windy, grey, increasingly chilly
Water - Choppy, cloudy
Method - LRF and lure
Total - 1
Species - Blenny

While we've not had as severe a winter as the last couple of years, nevertheless it's been pretty dreich. Due to a mixture of uninviting weather and other commitments I'd taken a relatively lengthy sabbatical from my piscine pursuits but as we entered February the compunction to get out and amongst the fish was growing to really itchy proportions.

Fishing on the moon
As the weather wasn't very welcoming, conditions and therefore prospects at this time of the year are not so good. If I was to venture out I'd want to also do my best to guarantee a fish. This left me with three options as far as I could see. The first one was ruled out on a time basis. I'd back myself to succeed at Eliburn but prefer to spend at least a half day there. Today I only had a couple of hours at best in the run up to darkness. That left either Torness/Dunbar to pursue any little blighters like Blennies, Gobies or Sea Scorpions (or indeed anything else willing to chomp my hook), or Pumpherston Pond where I have a decent record with the Perch.

Rock pool
I opted for Torness as the tide would be out allowing me access to the usual tried and tested pools, gaps and holes where the alluringly aggressive little fish frequent.

On arrival I couldn't believe my situation. Thinking I had both my main fishing bag, which generally holds all my kit and my carry bag which I fill with trip specific stuff, I found I'd left the latter at home. All my rockpool kit (hooks, Isome, weights etc) were miles away. I had all my lures and offshore kit and scrabbled through it all working out what to do.

'Patterned' barnacles
I managed to find a solitary hook small enough, three split shot weights (2 required) and then had to fashion a piece of Isome/Gulp type wormy lure from the tail of one of lures I did have. Well I was good until the first line break then I'd have to be content with an almost inevitable blank chucking lures out into the sea itself.

There is always the anticipation when approaching rock pools that there might be a one-off inhabitant, whether it be a flatfish or something a bit more 'exotic'. Alas I tried all the pools at the inflow and couldn't even tempt a show of interest, never mind spot something more exciting.

Random barnacles
After a while of zero action I became distracted with the rocks themselves and some of the life and characteristics I'd noticed on previous visits. A better camera than my phone would have done things more justice, not to mention a more skilled photographer. Some of the rock, which I expect has been eaten away by the limpets and barnacles and suchlike looks almost lunar in it's appearance.

But you don't catch many fish when your line isn't in the water. Very aware I was yet to get off the mark for 2013 I made for the outflow area a bit further along the coast.

Yellow lichen on black rocks
This time I had more success. There were some shows of interest which assured me that, as I suspected, my makeshift approach was still more than sufficient. I have to say the attitude of these wee fish when something is dropped into their vicinity is most endearing. It's as if anything entering their domain is showing the most disrespectful gall just dropping into their patch. If they are there, they're out like a shot. Sometimes stopping short of the lure/bait for a quick inspection before engulfing it, sometimes not even pausing before they gulp it down.
Limpet & Barnacles

Winkles
The first fish of the year soon arrived in the shape of a half decent Blenny. It's colouration shows up quite nicely in the photo (considering the general grimness of the day).

A keen eye will see my improvised 'worm'. I'm still without my polarised specs, so am not able to see under the water as easily as in the past, plus the late-ish hour meant it was getting increasingly difficult to watch the lure under the water and/or see any approaches from the defenders of the rocky crevices. Also, as it was an improvised lure, I could hardly see it once it submerged.

I explored around most of the exposed reef before setting up a lure and chucking a few casts into the outflow in the hope of something bigger. But the swell was quite large, dusk was drawing in as was the cold and as I was on my own, the safety situation wasn't exactly improving and so I called it a day.


First fish of the year



No comments:

Post a Comment